The Top Advantages of Professional Teeth Whitening
Your smile can say a lot about you, especially in social or professional environments. Because of this, many people have turned to cosmetic dentistry for help making their smiles look as good as they possibly can. Cosmetic dentistry is a type of dentistry that focuses solely on improving the appearance of your teeth and gums. While there are many different types of cosmetic dentistry, one of the most common procedures is teeth whitening.
What is Teeth Whitening?
Most people consider white teeth the key to having a bright and attractive smile. Unfortunately, a lot of our foods and drink can cause stains, taking away from that brightness and attractiveness. You may have perfectly aligned teeth, but if they aren’t white, they may still be considered unsightly. Teeth whitening aims to eradicate those stains in order to help your teeth shine again.
Since persistent stains typically reside under the surface of your teeth, whitening procedures aim to use chemicals to erase the stains on a deeper level, causing a lasting effect. This can be accomplished in a variety of ways, using both professional services and take-home remedies.
Professional vs. Take Home: Who Wins?
With the ever-growing popularity of cosmetic dentistry, dental industries have realized that people may benefit from take home solutions, especially with easy procedures like teeth whitening. Many find these take-home kits less expensive and more convenient, but are they really worth it?
It’s true that they are more convenient to perform from the comfort of your own home, but there is a lot to be said about professional services. Take a look at some of the reasons why professional services win over take-home kits.
- Better Results: You may be surprised to learn that professional teeth whitening procedures are often stronger than take-home kits. This is because cosmetic dentists are trained to handle stronger chemicals and know exactly what they are doing. When you get your teeth whitened in a dental clinic, you can expect whiter teeth overall than if you were to do the same at home.
- Fast Results: Sitting in a dental office for a few hours during one visit may seem like a hassle and not worth the money, but getting your teeth whitened at the office is actually faster than doing it at home. Because the treatments are stronger, you won’t have to go through them as much as you do with take-home kits. Most home solutions take two to four weeks before you start seeing results. Professional whitening often provides immediate results.
- Treating the Deep Stains: If you have deep stains, take-home kits most likely won’t work on you. A lot of take-home kits only treat surface stains, while professionals treat stains that extend below the surface. Before wasting money and time at the pharmacy, check with your dentist for recommendations about the stains on your teeth.
- Getting It Done Right: Even though kits seem easy enough to apply, you can still make a mistake, especially if it’s your first time. Your dentist will likely have already performed the same procedure hundreds of times, and knows exactly what he or she is doing. Getting it done right the first time saves you time and money in the long run.
- Treating Sensitive Teeth: If you have sensitive teeth, you will likely experience discomfort using take-home kits. Dentists are able to recognize this problem and apply the procedure to your teeth without causing sensitivity issues.
Consult with Your Dentist
If you’re still confused about which route to take, it’s best to consult with your dentist before making any final decisions. Contact us today, we can explain the pros and cons to each method and make the recommendation that’s right for your individual situation.