Dental implants may be the right choice for anyone who is missing one, multiple, or even all of their teeth due to decay, disease, defects, or injury. Dental implants are often chosen as an alternative option to crowns or dentures. They require less collateral damage to surrounding teeth and unlike dentures, they are permanently fixed to the jawbone, so there is no need to ever take them out.
Dental implants consist of three parts:
- Dental implant – similar to a screw, usually made out of titanium, serves as a replacement to the tooths root, and is fused directly into the jawbone
- Abutment – used as a connector that is built on top of the dental implant to connect the replacement tooth or teeth
- Crown – custom made tooth replacement that matches your natural teeth
There are many benefits when it comes to choosing dental implants. Here are a few to help you understand why so many people choose them over other dental options:
- Keep your teeth in your mouth – not on your nightstand or in a cup. Teeth belong in your mouth and unlike dentures they are permanently fused to your jawbone and cared for just like natural teeth
- Easy conversation – often with dentures they can slip and cause struggles with pronouncing words, which leads to being uncomfortable in social situation. Dental implants never move, slip, or cause you to “hold your tongue” when chatting with your loved ones
- Keeps your jawbone healthy – deterioration of the jawbone occurs with tooth loss. This can cause what is know as the “sunken” look. Without the support of your natural teeth your jawbone loses its strength and firmness
- No cavities – dental implants are not made up of the same material as natural teeth and therefore cannot form cavities. However, this does not mean that you can skip regular dental visits. They still need to be cared for by professionals, just like your natural teeth
- Next best thing – when it comes to natural teeth, dental implants are the next best thing. They are strong and stable. They also look, feel, and function like natural teeth
- Long term – when properly placed and cared for, dental implants can last a lifetime. Dental bridges typically only last five to seven years and often need to be replaced. This adds up to be a hassle and often a financial burden
- No need to say goodbye to your favorite foods – dental implants allow for a natural bite, which means you can enjoy all the foods you love without hesitation. So there is no need to say goodbye to that juicy steak
Missing teeth can cause many to feel embarrassed and can also have an effect on their quality of life. But the option of dental implants can restore confidence and help you get back your sparkling smile. Call our office today and our friendly and knowledgeable staff can help you start your journey to replacing missing teeth.