Designing Your Smile with Cosmetic Dentistry
Fixing damaged or decaying teeth isn’t the only procedure that happens in the dental world. In fact, there are many kinds of specialties in dentistry that each help in a specific way.
Seeing a cosmetic dentist in Denver is growing in popularity as more and more people want to perfect their smiles and build their confidence. We also see more people considering a cosmetic change as the technologies and solutions change and evolve.
Surprisingly enough, cosmetic dentistry is very similar to restorative dentistry, with only a few small differences between the two.
Cosmetic vs. Restorative Dentistry
Restorative dentistry fixes teeth through procedures like crowns and Denver CO dental implants. Someone usually gets restorative treatment after everything else has failed and they are in desperate need of treatment. As such, restorative dentistry is often a reactive process that is necessary after something traumatic happens to your teeth. In the end, restorative work is meant to restore proper function to the affected teeth.
Similarly, cosmetic dentistry is a reaction to the way teeth look. These teeth may or may not function properly, but the patient is typically more concerned about the appearance of those teeth. A cosmetic dentist uses finesse and attention to little details in order to fix the appearance of a tooth to better fit the patient’s idea of beauty. In essence, cosmetic dentistry is used for designing your smile.
Types of Cosmetic Dentistry
Much like other types of dentistry, cosmetic dentistry offers many options. Before you decide which procedure is best for designing a new smile, take some time and consult with us about your choices. During your consultation, we will look at the problems you see with your teeth and make a recommendation for which type of procedure will work best to correct the issue.
Here are some of the most common types of cosmetic dentistry:
- Teeth Whitening – This is perhaps the most common type of cosmetic procedure. Teeth whitening is the simple act of brightening your smile through various methods. You can do this at home or at the dentist’s office, but most people have found treatment at the dentist to be most effective.
- Veneers Denver – Veneers are made of either porcelain or composite resin, and they are attached to the front of your teeth. These veneers can easily change the color, shape, and size of your teeth. Veneers are often used as a more conservative approach over crowns, which cover the entire tooth.
- Crowns – Sometimes, veneers just won’t cut it for changing the appearance of a tooth. Some teeth are too damaged or too misshapen for veneers to help. When that happens, your dentist will use a crown instead. Crowns are typically made from porcelain and replace a large bulk of the natural structure of your tooth.
- Tooth-Colored Fillings – If you have a number of silver fillings still in your mouth, or if you are concerned about getting more fillings because you don’t want any more metal in your mouth, these natural-looking fillings may be the answer.
- Dental Implants – Implants replace missing teeth in your mouth. Implants in restorative dentistry take place after trauma or decay to a tooth. In cosmetic dentistry, teeth that don’t look good may be extracted in favor of an implant, which can be shaped for any appearance.
All of these procedures can help your smile look brighter and more beautiful, but you will want to be sure you are getting the right one.
Before your consultation, be sure to write down some ideas of the things that bother you about your teeth. If you come prepared to your consultation, we can better design a smile that fits you.
Contact us today to learn more about all of our services and how we can help.